Work Permits

  • Minors employed in the state of California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly referred to as a “work permit”). Work permits are typically issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the duties and location where the work will be done as well as the number of hours a minor may work. In most cases it is a two-step process. The minor along with the parent/guardian and employer fill out the B1-1 form and submit to the school local to the minor's address. The school district reviews the B1-1 form and issues the B1-4 (Work Permit).

    Beginning in the month of August
    Work permits will be available online to submit and process with your local high school.

    For the month of July
    Work permits are available online to submit to the District Office

    NOTE: Please allow two business days after applying for the work permit to be processed.