Work Permits

  • Minors employed in California must have a Permit to Employ and Work (commonly called a “work permit”). Work permits are typically issued by the school where the student is enrolled. Work permits indicate the duties and location of the work and the number of hours a minor may work. In most cases, it is a two-step process. The minor, parent/guardian, and employer fill out the B1-1 form and submit it to the local school at the minor's address. The school district reviews the B1-1 form and issues the B1-4 (work permit).

    Beginning in the month of August
    Work permits will be available online to submit and process with your local high school.

    For the month of July
    Work permits are available online to submit to the District Office

    NOTE: Please allow processing of the work permit two business days after you apply.