Safe Bus Riding Practices
In accordance with Section 39831.5 of the Education Code, all students in TK through 12th grade who attend public or private school, who are transported in a school bus or school pupil activity bus, shall receive instruction in school bus emergency procedures and passenger safety.
This includes, but is not limited to, loading and unloading procedures; passenger conduct; conduct at the school bus stop; safe road crossings, emergency evacuations, location of emergency equipment; and passenger restraint systems (if applicable).
The following rules apply at all times when students are riding a school bus, including when on school activity trips:
- Riders shall follow the instructions and directions of the bus driver at all times.
- Riders shall arrive at their designated bus stop on time and stand in a safe place at the stop to wait quietly for the bus.
- Riders shall enter the bus in an orderly manner and go directly to their seats.
- Riders shall sit down and fasten any passenger restraint systems. Riders shall remain seated while the bus is in motion.
- Riders shall not block the aisle or emergency exit with their body or personal belongings. Riders may bring large or bulky items, such as class projects or musical instruments, on the bus only if the item does not displace any other rider or obstruct the driver's vision.
- Riders should be courteous to the driver and to fellow passengers. Vulgarity, rude, or abusive behavior is prohibited.
- Any noise or behavior that could distract the driver, such as loud talking, scuffling or fighting, throwing objects, or standing or changing seats, is prohibited and may lead to suspension of riding privileges.
- Riders shall not use tobacco products, eat, or drink while riding the bus.
- Riders may bring electronic devices onto the bus only if such devices are permitted at school. If the use of cellular telephones or similar devices disrupts the safe operation of the school bus, the bus driver may direct the student to no longer use the device on the bus.
- Riders shall not put any part of the body out of the window nor throw any item from the bus.
- Riders shall help keep the bus and the area around the bus stop clean. Riders shall not damage or deface the bus or tamper with bus equipment.
- Service animals are permitted on school transportation services; all other animals are prohibited. (Education Code 39839; 13 CCR 1216Riders should be alert for traffic when leaving the bus and shall follow the district's transportation safety plan when crossing the road and exiting the bus.
- Upon reaching their destination, riders shall remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop and upon the signal from the driver, unfasten any restraint system, enter the aisle, and go directly to the exit.